Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fly By

So, I never updated you all on my trip to Georgia.
Sgt Dad and I really enjoyed flying down there and seeing Ranger graduate. It was really nice to see that he did not regret his decision. There is a calmness about him and a sense of purpose. Ranger has talked about military service since he was a very young boy. I guess somewhere deep down, I always knew that one of my boys would follow in his father's footsteps.
Ranger was offered the opportunity for another school and took it. He's been in Javelin school for the past two weeks. This is some kind of shoulder held rocket missile. Once fired the operator (my Ranger) uses a computer control on the unit to guide it to the target (usually a tank-scary!). Ranger told me that the top student in the course would get to fire the weapon upon completion of the course. They can only fire once because the missile costs over $80,000! Well, my Ranger can really do amazing things once he sets his mind to it and he is the top student and will get to fire the weapon. He was pretty excited about it. Me too! I'm really happy seeing him enjoy what he's doing and setting goals for himself and then attaining those goals. I mean, I'd love for him to choose a safer career but he's happy with what he's doing. What more could a mother ask for? He's a responsible young man on a decent career path with a sense of purpose. I'm worried about his safety but happy that he's happy.
Back on the home front, Sgt Dad has been in Thailand for some kind of planning conference. He doesn't like the food. Weird! Maybe his slight head cold has made everything taste bad. Tater misses having his own car. However, he's finally buckled down and started caring about his school work and so far is on track for honor roll. Strummer is doing pretty good this year too. He is really enjoying his guitar lessons and dreams of being a rock star. As for me, same old, same old.
I think I feel like the whole time we're here is just a holding pattern, waiting for Sgt Dad's retirement and the boys graduation. I feel like we're on the precipice of a huge change- and we are. We are only two years away from Sgt. Dad's military retirement and then ?? It is going to be such a major change. I have to admit that I'm a bit apprehensive. I'll be sad to leave Army life behind. There's a comfort to the structure.
Well, that's all the news and ramblings for tonight.....

1 comment:

cj said...

I'm excited about the changes in store for your family. I'm sure it will be hard to watch your boys grow up and out of your house, but exciting to see them starting out on their own adventures. And...maybe with Sgt. Dad out of the military, you will finally live close enough to us that we can see each other once in a while! Colorado is a nice place to live...hint...hint...