Friday, September 5, 2008

Graduation


So, we're down here at Fort Benning to attend Ranger's graduation. It's been great seeing him after so long. He looks really good and seems so grounded. I think he's happy with his decision.
Yesterday was the "Turning Blue Ceremony". All the new soldiers are given their infantry badge for their uniforms and a blue cord that they wear with their dress uniform that signifies that they are infantry. The picture nice one of Ranger marching following the graduation ceremony.
You know, I think he actually has grown taller during his time here. He seems well trained and confident. He also has learned to eat anything that is put in front of him. I'm amazed. Before he left all he ever wanted was pizza, chicken wings or burgers! He gained 20 pounds but I have no idea where he put it because he looks as slim as ever. His face is slightly more filled out but he has to have put it all into muscle!
During the graduation ceremony today they put on a small simulation. It included gun fire (blanks), smoke bombs, and armoured personnel carriers. The soldiers came through the smoke as if they were approaching an enemy encampment. They played that sappy music from the Army commercials. It was really awesome. Except, as a mother, I kept thinking that very soon that will be my son, the pavement will be sand and instead of adoring families in bleachers, he'll be approaching armed enemy combatants and when they are ready to pull out in their multi-million dollar armoured vehicles that not every soldier will be unharmed. As an American, I was proud, they looked excellent, well trained, and ready. As a mother, I was worried that it might be my son who has to be carried off the battlefield. Needless to say, this has been an emotional day for me. I am proud of my son and his bravery and his choice to serve his country and protect us all. I just wish that the battle he was entering was as clear-cut as when we fought the Nazis. And most of all, I pray that it will all be over soon and ALL our boys (and girls) will be home, safe and sound.

1 comment:

cj said...

Congratulations, Ranger! We are very proud of him and his decision to stand up and serve our country in such trying times. He looks like he has grown from a boy into a strong, confident young man in just a short time. We will continually pray for his physical as well as his emotional well-being. May God bless America!