Friday, January 30, 2009

The Office?


Once upon a time, I was an auditor. Not a tax auditor but a paperwork auditor. My job included data entry of comments from a job, detailing the work done, parts used, price charged, etc.

In doing this, I had to remove a great deal of staples from the checks and credit card slips attached to the work orders.One day I thought to myself, “I sure remove a lot of staples in a day.” So, I decided to pile them up to see how many there were in a day.

About that same time, I emptied my tissue box. Then genius struck! I started collecting those removed staples to see how many I removed in a week, and then a month. Finally, I decided to see just how long it would take to fill the tissue box.

The answer is: about two and a half years!

About nine months after I began my quest, I moved to Alaska and therefore had to quit my job. All was not lost in my quest however. You see, my mother was hired as my replacement and so I bequeathed the tissue box to her with the request that she keep filling it. Surprisingly, she did.

So today, after filling the tissue box, my former co-workers had a Staple Send Off party.


Goodbye my staple-filled tissue box.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all had a blast eating chocolate on your behalf. Did you get the card everyone signed?

Kakoii said...

I did get the card. It was such a great surprise! I sort of guessed that you had planned the party. I was a great idea! My new coworkers also enjoyed my little staple saga.
I'm currently collecting brass clips from my bags of coffee grounds. So far, I've about half filled a bud vase.