Monday, April 30, 2007

Post Seventeen or Goodbyes

We buried Sgt. Dad's father today. He was an Army veteran so we had the color guard come and play taps and present a flag to his only daughter. Taps is the most melancholy sound ever! It's so sad to say goodbye. I wish I had spent more time with him, called him more often, his time was just too short. I suppose life is never really long enough with someone you love.
He died from smoking related cancer and of course Sgt. Dad still smokes. So I made some calculations and if Sgt Dad follows his father's path I only have 21 more years with him. I told him that just wasn't long enough and he needs to quit smoking! Sgt Dad's G'ma also passed from smoking related cancer. He promised to quit when we get to Alaska and I'm holding him to it! These first 20 years have gone by quickly and I want more than 21 more years with him! He's worried about weight gain as every time he has quit in the past he has gained 30+ pounds and being a career soldier he is required to stay fit. In Alaska our whole family can go to the gym together and keep his weight down (and the rest of ours too)!

2 comments:

cj said...

Yes, life can seem to short. I am glad to hear that Sgt. Dad's father seemed to be prepared for his death, spiritually. I will pray that Sgt. Dad, and our Dad, will be inspired to quit smoking. They owe it to themselves and to their families to preserve their lives by living healthfully. It's good that Sgt. Dad has the goal of Alaska to make it happen. I hope it will.

The Mama of the House said...

I'm really sorry about the death. When my in-laws go it is going to be horrible and I will also know that I really should've called more often. I don't even want to think about my parents dying. Thankfully, none of them smoke but that isn't any guarantee of long life, either. I'm just praying for many, many more years!