Saturday, July 5, 2008

Matanuska Glacier


Well, Sgt. Dad and I went to the Matanuska Glacier today. We wanted it to be a family trip but Tater had to work and Strummer begged off so he could clean up for his girlfriend's visit tomorrow afternoon.

So, we took off on our own. We hiked right up to and onto the Glacier. It was kind of warm today, 77. Probably the hottest day since we moved here. Neither of us had ever been to a glacier before. It felt really nice when the wind blew across the ice. We selected a couple of small souvenir rocks along the hike to the glacier. Sgt. Dad enjoyed feeling how cold the water was. I was fascinated with the natural clay. I was thinking it would have been cool if I could have brought some back to make something out of it. Somewhere along the glacier we found a hole in the glacier where a fair amount of melted ice was flowing down a crevasse. It must have gone down 100 ft or more. It sounded like a huge river flowing under there. I'm not sure if there was or not, it could have been echo from the ice. Farther away, we saw people climbing the ice but I had no desire to try that. Maybe some time Sgt. Dad might go back and do that. I was satisfied with taking photos from reasonably close to solid ground. Hopefully we'll be able to take one of those tourists cruises to some of the grander glaciers at some point. At any rate, this was really fun and I'm sorry my boys had to miss it.


This is the crevasse with the water flowing down. It's not easy to see but it goes VERY deep down. I was too afraid to lean further over for a better picture.

This is a tight shot of the higher part of the glacier. I missed photographing the brave person who was rappelling down the face of the glacier moments earlier.

No comments: