Sunday, March 29, 2009

Alaskan Lesson

One day last week as I was driving to work, I noticed this woman driving aggressively. She was tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and speeding when she found a little hole. She was driving a small, mid-ranged, silver sedan, and her fancy work clothes were swinging on a hanger hung from one of those convenient hooks that cars sometimes have. I observed her dangerous trip from the time she first passed me on Bragaw as I exited the highway, all the way until we turned onto Northern Lights. I have to admit that I was annoyed by her aggressive behavior.
This type of driving is not the norm here in Alaska. I've noticed that the majority of Alaskans are patient drivers, allowing people into traffic and merging- yes merging! Of course, there are those that don't follow the rules of the road and polite society but as a whole they, no we, are polite drivers. Secretly, I think that all those aggressive drivers must be transplants.
Since I relocated to Alaska, I've learned so much from the people around me. Alaskans seems to have a slower way of life that isn't the norm in the bigger cities I've called home. The rush-rush-rush of the city hasn't made its way to Alaska. People here know that everything will get done in its time. Stressing and rushing doesn't help. It just makes you stressed.
Which brings me back to Ms. Silver Sedan. You may have noticed that I mentioned I observed her erratic, dangerous driving for several miles. This is because, for all her rushing, dangerous driving, and (assumed) stress, she didn't get any further ahead! I just plodded along, obeying the rules of the road, knowing that I would get to work when I got there, all my work would be waiting, and NOTHING bad would happen if I wasn't there exactly at 8:00 am. The world would not stop; no one would die. Best of all, when I got to work, I didn't start my day stressed out and coming down from a self-inflicted adrenaline rush.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Whew! I'm just glad it wasn't a small blue car you saw! Haha!