Sunday, March 15, 2009

Meandering Thoughts

Here in Alaska we are all thrilled that the sun is making its comeback. I'm happy to say that we've actually had bright, sunny days- at least partially sunny. I can't imagine how much more so this annual occurrence was welcomed in the days when people lived in cabins. I long for summer days with open windows, barbecues, and short sleeves. I enjoy the snow but I'm ready now for green and flowers.
Braveheart is settling into life in Afghanistan. He told me the spiders there are enormous. I found out they are called Camel Spiders and are arachnids but not true spiders. They are huge and ugly! I found some videos on YouTube but they aren't fit for a family blog. Soldiers do not censor their language very well when freaked out by a spider! There's not much else to say about Braveheart. He's still learning what he can share, as am I. However, I would like for everyone to pray for his safety. We never know when he's really going to need it!
Tater is gearing up for graduation. He's directionless right now for his future plans. I'm concerned about this because I think a person needs goals or they just flounder in life. I remember how overwhelming life can be at that age and I think the reality of becoming an adult is slowly sinking in. I'm confident he'll find his path shortly.
Strummer is still greatly enjoying guitar and has recently taken up skateboarding. There's a little skate park available on the air force base and he's been spending a great deal of time over there. So far there have been no broken bones.
Sgt Dad is enjoying a lull in travel and he and I plan on taking Math together this summer. We've been out of school so long that a placement test is in order. Fortunately, I already passed but Sgt Dad is going to have to retest or take a developmental course. As I type, he's cramming to retake the test. He's pretty good with mathematical concepts in general and I have every confidence he'll refresh his memory and pass. Tater, by the way, aced the test and placed right into college Algebra. At least we'll have a tutor right in the house!

1 comment:

cj said...

Thanks for the newsy update on your family. It's nice to hear bits of what is going on with you. Love ya!