Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Random Thoughts in My Head

I drove into work this morning in the dark- at 8 am! It was a scary ride. It had rained overnight and froze. I drove across the black pavement that glittered like it was full of diamonds and I was scared to death! I knew that sparkle wasn't diamonds but the very dangerous black ice! The first thing I heard on the radio was a traffic report telling of a rollover accident near UAA drive (the last intersection that I pass through on my way to work). I drove slowly and cautiously and carefully observed the roads and was sure to slow down in the worst of the icy sections. As I was approaching the gate and driving past the concrete barriers a great gust of wind blew hundreds of dry leaves from the forest and they danced across the road bringing with them a flood of childhood memories. It reminded me of dark fall nights while I was growing up and the many Halloweens and raking the leaves into huge piles then jumping in and spreading them all right back out again. The pleasure of a crisp fall morning and the crunch of the dry leaves under my school shoes. I've always loved fall! I guess partly because it brings with it the promise of the coming holidays and snow and winter break.
This afternoon on my way home, in the dark, my thoughts wandered in a totally different direction. I observed a few vanity plates in the following order:
HI QT, NVRKWT, AWSMAK Vanity plates are pretty fun I think. After seeing Evan Almighty I thought I would like to get ARK (Act of Random Kindness) but it's already taken. I also thought of KENJEN but decided it was too cheesy. Honestly, I guess there isn't any one thing in particular that I want to say to the world. I would probably change my mind daily based on my mood.
I had to take an hour lunch today because my teenage boys forgot their house key. They had only a half day today and neither boy remembered the house key. I wasn't any too happy to have to drive all the way home to let them in the house. Frankly, quite often one or more doors are left unlocked, of course the day they don't have a key is the day they are all locked! Hopefully they'll remember to lock the doors more frequently and remember their key!
Sgt Dad isn't having much luck with getting online in Japan. Apparently the base isn't very up to date with their tech services. I haven't spoken to him much. He did send a short email stating that he went to the zoo this week. I guess he's doing okay. He's only worried about watching his team play!
I had another thought but it's left me. One of these days I'll keep a little notebook handy so I can jot down things to blog about.

1 comment:

cj said...

I like fall too. However, I also dislike it. I love the autumn colors, playing in the leaves, and the last warm days lingering past their time. But it also makes me dread the months ahead of trees bare of their decoration, long, cold, dark nights, and having to wear a winter coat. I dislike being cold. I'm glad for the changing seasons though. It makes me more appreciative of nature. Have you considered a remote entry/keypad for your garage? We have one, and it has been so nice not to have to worry about carrying a key around to get into the house. Of course, it could be tricky if you don't have a garage!