Saturday, May 24, 2008

Changes

Well, Ranger made it off to Basic. He left at 6:40 pm Thursday. We spent a good part of the afternoon hanging out in the airport with him. Sgt. Dad and I had class so we didn't stay until his flight left but these days one can't go up to the gate anyway. Three other recruits from Alaska left with him. One of them is 32 years old! I was amazed! Sgt. Dad told me that a person can enlist up to the age of 39 now. I imagine that guy is going to feel very old during basic training. Although from the looks of him, he's in better physical condition than Ranger.
Ranger arrived in GA ok but hasn't begun training yet. Since it's a holiday weekend, he and all the other newly arriving recruits were just placed in barracks in Reception and won't do anything until Tuesday morning. No TV, no video games, no telephone. I'm not sure what they are doing. I sent Ranger with envelopes, stamps, paper, pens, and pencils. I am hoping he'll be bored enough to write.
It's VERY quiet here now. Tater is gone quite a bit working or out with friends and with just Strummer here, there is no bickering. I miss the noise already....
In other news, Strummer managed to fail Science and will be in Summer School. Grr! At least he failed with a high enough grade to take advantage of extended school year. That means he has to attend class for only 9 days to bring his grade to passing, instead of the entire summer school session.
Tater is scheduled for his road test in two weeks. I have to admit that it's really nice having another driver in the house, something we are missing right now with Ranger gone. Tater needs a bit more practice before his test, so I'll take him out as often as possible before then.
I took vacation time to spend the last few days with Ranger before he left. It didn't go so well though as I suffered three migraines last week. I've only ever had two in my life prior to this. I'm suspicious that my anxiety over Ranger's imminent departure had something to do with it. It was awful though, I had terrible nausea and a pounding stabbing pain going through my left temple. I had determined that if I had one more I was going to the doctor. So far so good though.
Sgt Dad and I are taking a Biology course this summer. It's one we both need in our attempts to get degrees before he retires from the Army. It's an accelerated course lasting only 5 weeks. I think in the second 5 weeks I'll register for psychology. That topic interests me so I think it will be more enjoyable than biology. Biology was probably my least favorite course in high school- even more than Math. We are also studying up for the placement test for Math and English. Sgt. Dad hasn't taken math since 1986! I took a remedial Math course in Texas in 2001. I think we'll both test high enough for 101 but we still need the brush up so we don't have to struggle in 101. I guess that's the next course we'll attempt to take together. He won't be able to take psychology with me because he has to travel this summer.
Well, that's my run-on update for now. I'm off to bed, vacation or no, I don't want to stay up too late.

No comments: