Saturday, May 31, 2008

Good Morning

Well, Ranger began basic yesterday. He called the house but I wasn't home and Strummer answered the phone. I hope he'll call again and give us an address so we can begin writing to him. I imagine he's getting a real wake up call to the reality of becoming a US Army soldier. It's going to be quite an adjustment from his normal routine of sleeping in and playing games late into the night! I'm looking forward to seeing his transformation in a few months.
Sgt. Dad and I have been busy taking a Biology course. Three credits crammed into five weeks is a tough schedule. We have a mid-term this Tuesday so after today we'll be studying like crazy. It has been an interesting course. Fortunately, my high school biology teacher forced us all to study at the AP level (even though I didn't take the AP test and get credit). Most of the course has been like a review for me. It's somewhat more detailed but not terribly. The most surprising thing is that Strummer and Tater seem to know all the stuff too.
Today the four of us are going to attempt King Salmon fishing. The clerk who sold us our fishing licenses ($88 for two people!!) said that if you hook one it will feel like a nuclear submarine. I'm not so sure what will happen if I actually hook one. I guess I'll start screaming, "HELP" and get Sgt. Dad to reel it in. Some grilled salmon steaks sound pretty good though, don't they? The clerk also said that, on average, it takes 40 hours of fishing to get one king salmon. I might be better off going to the supermarket and buying a salmon steak and spend my day shopping instead. Just kidding- the point is to be outside spending time with the family. Actually catching a fish is just a bonus. Although I am determined that I will catch at least one fish during my time in Alaska. Even if I have to live here ten years to do it!
I have another restaurant review to post but I'll save it for tomorrow. It seems there was something else on my mind too but I don't recall at this moment.
~till the next time....

No comments: