Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Another Thought!

I just had another thought! I've meant to post this for awhile but keep forgetting! Have you noticed my annoying bad habit of using exclamation points? I use them for nearly every sentence! I sorta takes away from the effect, doesn't it? I think I need to work on my word choices to express delight and excitement and save the exclamations points. I wouldn't want to cause a shortage! It's like the LOL and ;-) and :-) that are overused and overcutesy.
While I'm on the subject, I'd like to mention my pet peeve of the misuse of "I" and "me". I hear and read it all the time. It's actually not hard to keep straight. My mother taught me many things and one of the useful things she taught me was how to keep that straight. Generally people misuse those words when they are speaking of themselves and another person. For example, "Sara went to the store with Tom and me." is correct but often I hear, "Sara went to the store with Tom and I." which is NOT correct. Mom told me to leave off, "Tom and" then see how it sounds. Clearly, "Sara went to the store with I." sounds completely weird. "I" is the subject, "me" is the object.
Which leads me to another thought. I recently found an old friends facebook page and found a glaring error in the wording on the page. I quote, "I take nothing for granite". What? Doesn't this person mean, "I take nothing for granted"?? Am I a total snob for being bothered by that? Could it be a simple slip of the mind or is this person ignorant of the correct wording? I am a snob, aren't I? I'm a grammar/spelling snob. Woe is me! So now I'm paranoid. Of what mistakes am I ignorant? On this blog I take license to knowingly make grammar errors. I've ended sentences with prepositions. I've started sentences with conjunctions. I written fragments as sentences. For heaven's sake I use an exclamation point after every other sentence! Do my readers realize I know better but choose to blog more free form? Maybe that's what my friend did. Just typed away with out concern for spelling, punctuation, or grammar. I'll let it go because I do know this person to be quite intelligent. After all I did see a person with an advanced degree write "mute point" instead of "moot point".
Now that I've got that off my chest I can sleep. Good night!

3 comments:

cj said...

I agree! I don't like to read blogs that are full of grammatical errors, particularly in the spelling department. I can, however, overlook punctuation and sentence structure errors. This is probably because I am not an expert in this area. I too am highly aware of the "Tom and I" errors that are made because of Mom. I guess some people think that grammar is not so important when blogging...so they just write quickly and move on to the next item on their "to-do" list. I assume you were tired when you wrote your post, and so you missed this little error in your blog - I written fragments as sentences. Hee, hee. I found a stamping blog with some beautiful ideas and projects, but I can not read it because of her spelling errors. She also has a super fetish for the punctuation marks!!! I'll email you a link. Keep posting!!!!

Kakoii said...

Argh! I just knew I'd do that when posting about this topic! Classic example of those who live in glass houses. Ah me! I do try to look over my posts but not too intensely or I'd never post a thing. That error would never be picked out by spell check. Maybe Word would have gotten it with grammar check. I may just have to start writing my posts in Word then cut and paste so I don't embarass myself! LOL!

cj said...

Hee, hee! I hate it when I make mistakes on my blog too. I have to go back and fix them when I find them. I often have dictionary.com open to check my spellings, and I also use the thesaurus sometimes to try and make my writing more interesting. (By the way, I had to check the spelling of thesaurus, hee, hee.) I was never a good writer...I hope my photos do the talking.