Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Wednesday

Well, we're over the "hump"! It's all downhill to the weekend from here! The days and weeks seems to be flying by. I read a bumper sticker or cartoon somewhere that said the days are long but the years are short. Deep, isn't it? I mean in the moment it does sometimes seems that time is just moving like sludge. Like when you're having a bad day at work, or when your baby just won't stop crying, or when your sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office. Then other times it seems like you were just spending the day chasing toddlers and suddenly you're worrying about how they will do on their high school exit exams. I got to hold a four week old baby today. She was so precious and at four weeks is still smaller than my smallest baby was at birth! I found I still have "the touch". Oh, I loved holding her and helping her find her thumb. And suddenly I realized that I'm not done having babies in my life. Don't get excited, I don't want to have another one but I now realize that I will indeed be happy to have grandchildren (please, oh please not until these boys are educated and married). I can do all the fun stuff all over again and this time it won't be my responsibility to change diapers or discipline. I get to be the good guy, the Gramma! I can color and finger paint, and use glue and glitter, make playdough, and sofa cushion forts! Best of all I can have baby hugs and hear them say my name.... someday the short years will take me to that place but for now, the days are long.

1 comment:

cj said...

I love that quote...The days are long, the years are short. So appropriate for me right now.