Sunday, June 1, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad


So today is Dad's birthday. When I spoke to him he was enjoying making his newest granddaughter smile. One thing about Dad is that his family means everything to him. From my Dad I really learned about family unity and love of family. Even through my tumultuous teen years (and really, whose weren't?), during the time when most teenagers just "hate" their parents who are so dumb and don't understand anything, I knew that above all and no matter what my Dad loved me.

One time, after a few weeks of my temper tantrums and my being particularly hateful, I got up to use my curling iron one morning and it had died. Those of you who have known me forever realize that during my teen years my hair was IT. I wouldn't dare go out of the house without my hair being perfect. So my curling iron being out of commission was a MAJOR big deal. At that time Dad worked shift work. That night he got home about midnight and came up to see me. I don't know how he found out about my curling iron but he did and some time that day he had gone to the store and bought a new curling iron. That was probably the most meaningful gift my father ever game me. Even then, it meant so much to me that even though I was being really rotten, he made the effort to go shopping and buy that for me. I think that one singular gesture epitomizes the love of a parent: no matter how rotten our kids are behaving, we love them, entirely for being our children.

So, happy birthday Dad. Thanks for all you do and have done. I love you!

1 comment:

The Mama of the House said...

That is so sweet it makes me want to cry! I love your dad, too, just for that!