Wednesday, February 11, 2009

'Cause I'm a Lady!

For radio shows, the morning rush is the most important time frame of the day. Radio stations around the country all have some kind of show and/or gimmick.
Having lived in many different regions, I have had the opportunity to sample a good deal of morning radio shows.
Anchorage is seriously lacking in quality morning rush entertainment. Most of the shows are, quite simply, insipid. After months of channel surfing, I finally settled on the Woody and Wilcox show for my morning commute.
These two guys are not comic geniuses and recently found themselves in the midst of a scandal for making a stupid, ethnically insensitive joke. There was a lot of talk about it around town. Personally, I think they were less racist and more stupid. However, that is not the point of this post.
Some of the bits these guys do are fun, like Anchorage Craigslist. In this bit, one of the hosts finds odd craigslist items and the other has to guess how much the seller is asking for the item. They find some strange things for sale. Once there was a listing for "lots of skulls"! Every week they manage to find someone attempting to sell a used shower curtain. The hosts think that is just the funniest thing.
Some of their bits are just stupid and junior high level humor. The one that is the dumbest (and the time when I turn the station) is called, "Fun with Football". In this bit, they take clips from football commentators and take them out of context to make them sound dirty. This bit is something my brother would have literally rolled on the floor laughing over- 15 years ago!
Anyway, as you probably realize, most of these morning shows have some kind of catch phrase that callers are supposed to say at the end of the call. I think Woody and Wilcox had some kind of contest for theirs. They have a catch phrase and reply which is: "Trust your hang" and "Tarp your load". Say what? I HATE these phrases! I'm not really sure what they mean but I guess it's referring to male anatomy or some kind of maleness.....
Which brings me to the point of this post. I will never call that show because I will not use their catchphrases .............

Because I'm a Lady

and I won't say such questionable things- especially on the radio!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Funny post. I like the concept of looking for strange things people try to sell on craig's list. But I agree. I agree with you regarding their taglines. Idiotic. Totally tasteless. I'm glad you drew the line. :)