Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Braveheart's Adventures


Braveheart's (formerly Ranger) departure to Afghanistan is right around the corner. I can't help but be touched by his bravery even though I don't think he fully realizes how brave he is. He is well trained and ready. I, on the other hand, have not really prepared myself.

It's very hard to let go of him. He's a man but he's still fairly innocent and naive. I know after this experience he will no longer be either. He will have gone through things that I have only read about or seen in the news or movies. He will be stronger and tougher. He will be changed.

I hope and pray that he will come home whole, both physically and emotionally. I hope he will hold to his faith and stay true to his moral conscience. I hope he will be a leader.

I guess all parents have to let go some time but in my mind I always see my little boy. My little Braveheart who has always dreamed of military service. My sweet boy who set his alarm clock one Mother's Day morning to make me breakfast in bed. My sweet boy who told me he loves me more than all the sand in the world, the grass on the ground and all trees.

Deep inside that soldier I see standing before me is my sweet little boy. And I think that, maybe, no matter what that soldiers sees and experiences, when he sees his Mommy, a little bit of that sweet boy will always be there.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Braveheart! That's a wonderful name for him. I, too am sorry to see him go. It's hard to imagine him all grown up. Love ya Braveheart!

cj said...

What a sweet story. We pray that Braveheart takes God in his heart with him wherever he is sent. We pray for God's blessings and protection!