Thursday, February 12, 2009

It's all relative

When Sgt Dad was a drill sergeant he worked very long hours. He was often exhausted. I've never worked the crazy hours he did nor done as much physical labor. I really admired him for all he was able to do. However, during this time I could never complain to him that I was tired or sore. If I was tired and said so, he would respond, "YOU'RE tired?" I would explain, that yes I was tired and that my being tired in no way negated his exhaustion or took away from him being more tired than I was. That always drove me crazy. I was no less compassionate to his need for rest but just because he was MORE tired, didn't mean that I couldn't be tired too.
I was thinking about this today because he's been away for a few weeks and I really miss him. However, I can't really complain about it because I know too many women whose husbands are leaving for an entire year to a war zone. I feel bad complaining because it could be so much worse. I'm really lucky that Sgt dad is just away for a few weeks and not off to the war.
It's like the skinny girl and the fat girl. Skinny girl was sick, gained a few pounds and now feels all fat and miserable. She complains to her fat friend, who needs to lose 80 pounds. Fat friend is frustrated because she's so fat and skinny girl's situation seems so much better. What's 10 pounds compared to 80? Both women need to lose weight and feel bad, but in comparison, skinny girl doesn't have a lot to complain about.
The point is, it's relative. Just because Sgt Dad is only gone for five weeks doesn't lessen the fact that I miss him and want him home, or lessen the fact that I could be tired even when he was more tired or that skinny girl does need to lose 10 pounds when fat friend needs to lose 80. However, less tired me, less lonely me, and skinny friend could remember that, though we do have something to complain about, it could be much, much worse.

No comments: