Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

In younger days, Valentine's Day was a BIG deal to me. I mean, if I didn't get flowers and properly romanced on V-day, there was no possible way my guy "loved" me, right? I was very uptight about it, everything had to be perfect and fit into what I thought was romantic. I couldn't grasp the concept that this was a silly holiday and mainly blown out of proportion by restaurateurs, florists, and other retailers to boost sales. That it truly does take away the romance of spontaneity. In my immature mind I kept thinking, "...but it's VALENTINE'S DAY!"
To Sgt Dad's credit, he has always gone along with the peer pressure and bought flowers and fought the crowds to take me to dinner. I'm not completely jaded to the day. I still like to get flowers and go to dinner but there's not this mental build up to 'prove' anything anymore. Flowers on V-day are nice but much more special and meaningful on some random day in July. Jewelry sparkles on V-day but radiates when it's a special gift after Sgt Dad has been away. I mean, anyone can conform to societal pressure to romance on Valentine's Day but when it truly comes from the heart because he loves me or has missed me- BANG- there's the real romance!
Having said all that, I'm still extra lonely this Valentine's Day. I mean, yes it's a forced day of romance but it is nice that collectively we remember to be romantic and appreciate each other one day a year. I had been feeling a little blue this year because Sgt Dad has been away since January 20th. However, when I got home from work yesterday there was a beautiful bouquet of white roses on my coffee table. My sweet Ranger had bought them for me. I was so touched by his thoughtfulness. How sweet of him to make sure I had flowers on Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Sally said...

That's so, so sweet. :)