Sunday, October 7, 2007

First Dusting



This morning I awoke to the first dusting of the year. I knew that the forecast called for snow this week but I had thought it wasn't going to be until mid-week. I was pretty surprised. It didn't seem that cold when I went to bed last night. As you can see from this picture, it was only a dusting. We've had a couple light frosts but it really hasn't been that cold - yet. Sgt Dad and I both should purchase snow tires but have not yet done so. I've heard horror stories from long-time Alaskans about 6 hour plus waits to purchase and mount tires if one waits too long. Of course, Sgt Dad and I both are procrastinators so no doubt we'll be among those poor saps who have to surrender their vehicle for a day to get tires installed. Sgt Dad at least has two sets of rims and next year this won't be as much a problem as he'll be able to switch out his tires himself. I don't think I'll invest in a second set of rims, so I'll have to have my tires switched out yearly.

Middle Son seems to enjoy working or at least he doesn't hate it. He's excited about earning his own money. On his first day someone called in sick, and despite having only watched health and safety videos, he was called out of training to help. Talk about trial by fire! He said he didn't know what he was doing and that it was pretty hot in the kitchen. He's been getting advice from some of the teens who have been there awhile about how to avoid the chores that you don't like. For example, when it's slow is when the manager calls them out to sweep and mop the dining room. So, make sure you are busy, or look busy, and the manager will pass you by for someone else. Middle Son spent alot of time yesterday stuffing kid's meal bags.

I took my boys out to the mall yesterday because Middle Son needed black, non-skid shoes for work and Youngest Son wanted a poster. You would have thought it was the week before Christmas! It was packed! I had to wait in line to get into the parking garage and for the elevator. I was confused since it's only October until I remembered that the PFD checks were dispersed this week. It reminds me of Kodak bonus time back in Rochester back when Kodak gave out huge bonuses. Even if, like me, you don't get a PFD check this is a good time to shop because all the stores have sales and specials. Payless had their BOGO sale and I bought Middle Son's work shoes there and a cute pair of sneakers for myself. It was like wasting money not to! I also found the poster Youngest Son has wanted for over two months now. I looked for an iTouch so I could check it out but no one had one on display. That's the number one item on my Christmas list- IF I like it. I can't imagine not liking it but it does have less memory than my current 20 gig iPod. Although it's not like I'm running out of memory anyway, there's only about 3 gigs of music on it. (maybe Sgt Dad will buy it for our anniversary instead of making me wait.....)

This weekend has been our lucky weekend. The club on base holds Texas Hold 'Em tournaments- which are free since gambling is illegal in Alaska. So, we went on Friday and they advertised a members only tournament for Saturday. So, we decided to join the club. They are having a membership drive right now which includes waiving the membership dues ($8 a month) for 6 months and when you sign up you are given a scratch-off ticket that has a maximum prize of $100. So, since I had already lost the tournament Friday, Sgt Dad charged me with the task of signing us up. He said he wanted to scratch his own ticket but we only got one since membership is for a family and not an individual and they make you scratch it off at the counter in front of them. So, I had to do it and we won the max prize of $100! Yippie! That was the same as the prize for winning the tournament! Suddenly I didn't mind that I was out of the tournament. Sgt Dad didn't fare much better in the tournament but we still had fun and were walking away with $100 in cash! On Saturday we came out for the members only tournament. First I won a hat then later I won the raffle drawing for a bread basket. It comes with three loaves of bread, jelly, and a really nice bread knife. Plus there is a gift certificate for a free loaf of bread each month for 6 months! Too bad I'm on Atkins! Sgt Dad and the boys will enjoy the bread though or I'll take it to work. Either way, it was our lucky weekend. Sgt Dad bombed out on that tournament, not even making it an hour in. I did pretty well though and made it to the final table, finishing 5th. It was too bad that I couldn't hold out for one more place because 4th place got a $25 gift card. All in all it was a successful weekend.

No comments: