Sunday, October 28, 2007

Happy Surprises

Well, as you know Sgt Dad's and my 17th anniversary was this week. We had a nice dinner at Lone Star and both overate and were too full to do anything else. So, we came home and vegetated in front of the TV. Boy are we getting old! I imagine you are all wondering how Sgt Dad did for our anniversary as he had forgotten my birthday. Well, those of you who know Sgt Dad well, also know that sometimes he really come through and does something really special. This year was one of those times. Earlier this week Sgt Dad told me that he would need our van to move his office. I knew that he was going to be moving soon, so I thought nothing of it (in fact his office really did relocate this week). He told me he would need it Thursday and Friday. So, I said OK. Well, Wednesday I drove to work in the van as usual. I went into a meeting (didn't take my cell phone) and when the meeting was over I had more than a dozen missed calls between my cell and office phone- all from Sgt Dad. At first I thought something had happened to Eagle but then realized Sgt Dad was just trying to reach me to find where I park. He was pretty frustrated that he couldn't reach me. I felt bad but what could I do? Even if I had taken my cell phone to the meeting I wouldn't have interrupted the meeting to answer. So, I tried to call Sgt Dad back but his phone was off. I figured he was pretty mad. I didn't go down to the parking lot to see if my van was still there but I figured he probably found it as the parking lot is big but not THAT big and I know he knows which building mine. About and hour later I got a couple calls from people looking for Sgt Dad. I was like, why are they calling my phone? (He had given them my number since his phone died) Then a car company called and said he had dropped of his car for service and forgot the keys. I said, "I didn't know he needed service, what is he having done?" When they told me it was a remote start I thought, "that bugger! he is having a remote start installed in his car when I had said I wanted one". Then I asked if it was his car or van. They told me it was the van. Then I realized the reason for his frustration over not being able to reach me and that he had indeed found the van. He had gone to all this effort and planning so that he could surprise me by installing a remote start in my van for an anniversary gift! I was so excited! It was so thoughtful and really classic Sgt Dad. So, his surprise was spoiled by his uncharged cell phone and forgetfulness. When it comes down to it, I was still surprised, just not when he wanted me to be. I love it! It has a 2,000 foot range, so I can start up the van from my office and by the time I shut down my computer, put on my coat, and walk down to the parking lot, my van will be warmed up for me! It was a great way for him to take care of me all winter long!
In a side note, all of the sudden I understand why last Monday night Sgt Dad was asking me how many feet are in a mile!

1 comment:

cj said...

How cool! A remote start is such a great thing for those cold Alaskan winters. That was so sweet of him to set that up as a surprise for you.