Tuesday, October 2, 2007

You Might Be a Geek If...........

This morning as I was walking up the stairs to my office, I heard a distinctive ringing. I am embarrassed to admit that it didn't take me long to place why it was so familiar. The ringing was of the Public Telephone. (Yes, we actually have a working pay phone in the building! The cell phone is not quite as ubiquitous here in Alaska as other places.) But the sound was not familiar to me because of some memory of old public phones or having used them. Oh no, it was because of a movie or rather a series of movies that featured the now archaic public pay phones. Do you know to which trilogy I am referring? The public pay phone had a featured role in these movies.........


It's the Matrix. Do you remember how they would run to the ringing pay phones and pick it up and it would pull them out? Maybe I'm in the Matrix- maybe that was my crew trying to pull me out, maybe none of this is real, I hear that phone ringing again.........

4 comments:

The Mama of the House said...

Quick...grab the phone!

cj said...

Don't you remember the pay phone in the tiny booth of our high school? And, don't you remember when they changed to cost of a phone call from a dime to a quarter? You are older than me, sister! I think that you're just getting old and your memory is starting to slip!!!! Great post.

Kakoii said...

Perhaps I should have stated more clearly- of course I remember that phone booth- I used to go in there between classes to call Sgt Dad! I just meant that I knew the ringing of that phone and it jogged a different memory.
But that phone booth- I remember calling 98 PXY to request songs - wouldn't Northstar have loved to have known that? I remember asking Sgt Dad to call me back on that phone too so we could talk longer than the 3 minutes (during lunch time of course). I don't specifically remember the price of a phone call changing but I do remember needing dimes when we were at HRBC and quarters once we got to Northstar.

Karen Hamilton said...

The phone booth was also prominent in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. It became a really nifty time travel machine. Northstar did the best they could.