Thursday, October 18, 2007

My "Baby" Sister

My sister- not the littlest one but the grown one- is a really special woman. While growing up together, I always referred to her as "my baby sister". Today I feel like telling all of you why she's so special.
My sister is just 14 months younger than me. We grew up together and in many ways are like twins. Because of the school we attended through our elementary and middle years, we were in the same classroom and had the same friends. We shared a bedroom and were together all the time! Growing up, I often fought with her. I guess it was typical sibling rivalry. I've always been a very independant person and wanted to break free. She always wanted to be with me and go where I went. I didn't appreciate her then. I used to complain, "Why do I always gotta take her with me?" I always loved my sister and wouldn't let people say mean things or be mean to her- but at home I was the mean one. I wasn't very nice her alot of the time. I wish now that I had been. We could have had alot of fun together. Not to say that we didn't have fun. I have many fond memories growing up together. Many times we joined forces against our little brother and others. We all love to tell the story of the time we fed one of our male friends chili that we had added ALOT of cayene pepper to. The poor boy tried so hard to be polite and eat the chili. His mouth probably burned for hours! I remember the two of us playing princess- this was way before Disney Princesses- by wrapping our hair in our long beach towels to pretend we had very long hair. I wonder if she remembers the summer we created the very first water babies. We filled balloons with water and put baby powder and diapers on them and they were our babies. I remember making forts out of the couch cushions on rainy days.
Anyway, I just felt like posting today how much I admire my sister. She is a very solid person. She is methodical and not flightly at all. In high school she was always kind; she didn't join the snotty, stuck up group. She worked very hard and studied and did all her homework. She went on missions trips to Mexico.She played sports and acted in the school play. She even earned a college scholarship for her soccer ability. She worked hard in college and didn't lose sight of her goals. She carefully searched for the right husband but graduated from college first! She got married then had kids! She manages her house and finances well (I guess she helps manage the finances but she doesn't overspend!). She's patient and kind. She's creative- I haven't seen anyone make a better scrapbook! I miss my sister and I wish I was more like her! I love you sister and can't wait until we can spend time together again!

3 comments:

cj said...

Wow, I am honored to read your opinion of me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I wish too, that we hadn't fought so much. I had my share of mean moments, but mostly fond memories of tagging along with my sister. I always wanted to do whatever my big sister was doing. I was grateful to be able to follow you into new adventures that I would not have been brave enough to try on my own. I'm so glad that you are my sister!

The Mama of the House said...

I think that may be the sweetest thing I've ever read. When are you and your army hubby moving here so you two can be close neighbors and friends?

Unknown said...

As a sister I remember both sides of the coin, good and bad. I too wish that your Mom and I had been closer. She is a great sis.