Thursday, October 4, 2007

Rite of Passage

Well, Eagle has found and purchased his first car. I'm sad that I'm not with him for this major event. Don't we all remember our first car? I was 27 years old before I had my first car. I mean, Sgt Dad and I always (mostly always) had a family car but I was 27 before we could afford a second car. It was such a hassle when I needed the car. I would have to get all my babies up and drive him to work and they would NEVER go back to sleep after that! Of course they would all be napping when it was time to pick him up after work and I'd have to wake them up again. Sgt Dad never liked to be "stuck" at work without a car and I didn't like to be "stuck" at home with no way to go anywhere. It seems like so long ago and yet not so long either. And now one of my babies has his own car! I'm happy for him that he won't have to call around to beg for rides but now I'm nervous. How safe will he drive? Will he be able to manage the snowy, icy conditions in Rochester? Can he concentrate with friends in the car? It's hard to let go and trust him. I do, mostly anyway. *sigh* I just miss him. I wish I could have done something different and kept him home until he finished high school.
Meanwhile, Middle Son has started training at his first job. He beat Eagle on this rite of passage. He is my first child to have a job! Can you believe that Burger King pays 10.02 an hour here??? Sgt Dad told him he is required to save half his paycheck. He wants to buy a car too. I wonder if I can afford insurance! It's insane how much it costs to insure teenagers- especially if they have their own vehicles. My house is sure quiet and seems quite empty with Eagle gone and now with Middle Son working. Poor Youngest Son is going to get ALOT of attention.
One last thought, the sun was just rising over the mountains at 8 this morning as I came into work. It was beautiful! I can't wait to be able to see the Northern Lights! I'll have to read up on how to photograph them so I can post a good picture. I have to think of the positive things about the impending darkness. It's going to be so weird!
Anyway, that's it for now!

2 comments:

cj said...

Wow, a car, a job...your boys are growing up so fast!

Karen Hamilton said...

Kakoii,
We were willing and eager to give him rides, and now are sad we don't get that car time with him. I'm sure he will be fine.

Love ya!