Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Family Days

Yesterday was a holiday here in Alaska, so none of us had work or school. We had a great weekend! Friday, Sgt Dad and I went to a concert. It wasn't very good but it was nice to get out together. Then on Saturday the family went bowling and played board games in the evening. Sunday night we went to the Bear's Tooth and saw 30 Days of Night. It was a slasher vampire movie and not what I expected. It was set in Barrow, AK though, so that was fun. Although, I don't think it was very accurate. From what I read, there is actually more like 2 months of night and it's not complete dark but kind of twilight for a couple hours a day. I'm not really sure though. I'll have to ask someone from there to tell me about it. At any rate, it's always fun to go to the Bear's Tooth. We had pizza and nachos! Finally on Monday, we went bowling again then shopping at the 5th Avenue Mall. It was nice to spend so much time together. I think all of us are realizing that our time together as a family of 5 is nearly past. Ranger has been very mature lately and treating his brothers well. I finally have a glimpse of a future where my boys actually like each other. I seriously had my doubts! I know that I'm already dreading Ranger's final escape because I keep dreaming about having a baby boy! I'm PENing- pre-empty nesting! Ha! and this is only my first born! How will I get through the next two? My hope is that they will be around for college and their departures will be more gradual.
Monday night Tater told me about a compliment given to our family. His friend told him that it seems like every time he calls we are doing something together as a family- skiing, bowling, movies, games, etc. His friend said he was jealous and wished his family did stuff too. It made me feel good to realize that a) our family really does spend a fair amount of time together b) my boys actually enjoy most of it and c) Tater has the kind of friends that want to spend time with their family.
So, we are in the midst of our January thaw. Overnight a wicked wind swept through, melted all the snow, and brought temperatures in the mid 40s! All the snow melted off the roof and I can see the dog piles in the back yard that need to be scooped before they are covered again! What fun! Ranger and I replaced my tattered windshield wipers today since all this thawing means ALOT of FILTHY road spray! I will probably visit the car wash for a rinse-off after things settle down.
Tater was home sick from school today with a mild stomach flu. I sure hope the rest of us don't catch it!
Well, Ranger is STARVING, as usual so I'm going to help him find a snack and head off for some much needed beauty sleep!
~till next time......

No comments: