Friday, June 29, 2007

Watson Lake, Yukon Territory

What a day we had today! I didn't mention before but our check engine light had come on- again. So, when we got up we brought it to the local GMC dealer (fortunately there was one in this town). After 3 hours and another $200, we were on the road again. This one said that the part was improperly installed by the other deal. Whatever, we were on the way again. We stopped by the Alaska Highway 0 mile marker and got a better photo. Unfortunately there were a few busloads of people in the way. So, finally at a bright and early 11 am local time, we were driving down the Alaska Highway. We drove through some of the most beautiful country I'd ever seen! The Canadian Rockies are gorgeous! We saw brown & black bears, rock sheep, moose, caribou, deer, and bison. Not all of my pictures turned out very well. I wish that I could share better with you all what I'd seen with my eyes. We saw a brown mama bear with her two little cubs following behind her. They were tumbling around and batting at each other. We stopped for a photo but didn't want to linger and upset her. We saw at least three separate herds of bison with their young. I was amazed at the number of sheep. We saw several rams with such big horns! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to snap a great photo of one of them. Moose turned out to be the most elusive. I'm sure we'll have other opportunities to see these particular wildlife. We believe we will get back in the USA tomorrow- to Tok, AK. Of course that all depends on what time we finally rise and shine. We never stopped for dinner today and by the time we reached the hotel here in Watson Lake everything was closed. Except for the convenience store which had a thick layer of dust over all the products on the shelf. This did not lend a great deal of confidence in the edibility of the vitals. Nevertheless, we were hungry and all found food to eat. I did feel a bit more confidence when I noticed a flock of local teens purchasing and eating food. This particular hotel is quite over-priced and under-cleaned/maintained. It is a roof over our head, however, and the only place for many, many, many miles. And of course, the ever important issue- they allow pets (and children- ha ha).
**Pictures don't seem to want to load this evening. It could very well be the quality of my connection. So, you'll just have to wait to see the great pics I got today. I'm off to bed and let the kiddies connect for now.

3 comments:

Karen Hamilton said...

Hey guys!
You are having quite an adventure! How exciting to see all the wildlife! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Love you lots!
Grandma Karen

Mo said...

How cool!! Wish I were there!! When will you get to base?

cj said...

How cool! That is great that you got to see so much wildlife. I must admit that I am a bit jealous because I love seeing the wildlife. I have only ever seen one bear in my life. I can't wait to see your photos!!!