Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm Alaskan Now

Well, we've been in Alaska for 9 months now. Had we been nuts we could have had another child in this time. Don't misread this- there are no more Army Brats coming from this author! I'm just saying, nine months is a long time. Anyway, the point is we've been getting to know Anchorage. We got driver's licenses, wasted money in tourist traps, and made it through a winter. (Although I'm still suspicious that Winter is hiding, lurking even, and waiting for me to let my guard down before she strikes her final blow.) We've gotten settled into routines, I'm working, and the boys are in school. However there's one more thing that makes a person feel at home and that's knowing how to get around town.
See, every time we move it's kinda overwhelming at first. You drive into a town and don't know where anything is. You live by your map and phone book. It's all strange. You have to find a house, school, the mall, the grocery store, etc. Last weekend I had several errands to run all over Anchorage and at the end of the day I suddenly realized that I had driven all over town without having to consult a map once or making one wrong turn!
I started here at Ft Rich and drove into Eagle River. Strummer needed a good guitar so we shopped there first. Then it was out to South Anchorage to a bigger, better music store. (Where we did purchase a sweet electric guitar) From there we went to west Anchorage to the beauty supply store (I needed good shampoo) but it was closed. (Can you believe it closed at 5 on a Saturday??). Then I remembered I had a gift certificate for gourmet bread. So I drove to midtown but they had sold out and were closed but next door to them was another beauty supply store. So I strolled in there for my shampoo. The final stop, also in midtown, was Wal-Mart. Heretofore I had always missed it and had to drive back around to get there (there are lots of one way streets in Anchorage). But not this day, oh no- because I'm Alaskan now!

2 comments:

cj said...

It's nice to feel at home. I haven't had to learn my way around too many new places, but I did find it interesting that I have forgotten a few of the ways around Rochester. I still remember a lot of the roads, but it takes quite a bit of brain exercise!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.