Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Life in AK

Well, I'd like to start this message with a shout out to my Grandma W. I spoke with her on Easter and she told me how she enjoys reading my blog and is disappointed when there is nothing new. Therefore I have decided to be more diligent about new postings.
I guess it's time for a book review. A co-worker lent me The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst. The writing is excellent although some subject matter is gruesome; there is discussion about a sect of psychopaths who surgically alter dogs in an attempt to make them speak. The book centers around a grief-stricken man who desperately wants to teach his dog to speak to tell him about his wife's final day. It's a great story. I also recently read Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. It's also very well written, the kind of writing that sweeps you away. I'm currently reading Duma Key by Stephen King. I'm just starting so I can't tell if it's going to be one of his horrors or something along the line of Lisey's Story. Love him or hate him, he pens an engrossing tale. I currently have a stack of TEN books lined up to read after Duma Key. I love knowing I have books ready to go. Since Strummer has weekly guitar lessons I know I have at least 30 minutes a week to dedicate to reading.
Did I mention that Sgt Dad and I went bowling Easter Sunday afternoon? I had my best game ever. I bowled a 189 and had 4 strikes in a row during that game! Since I bought my new curve ball I've really improved. I guess we'll do okay when we start the bowling league this fall. I just realized that I should have snapped a picture of the scoreboard! Oh well! I guess I'll just have to replicate the game or beat it!
And that's all my thoughts for today!

1 comment:

cj said...

It's great that you read so much! I mostly read children's books, or non-fiction. My favorites right now are about photography and scrapbooking. Please do more reviews, maybe I will be inspired to read something different!