Monday, June 23, 2008

Last Minute cont....



So, we had a great drive down to Kenai. It was so pretty. We didn't see a single animal though. I was disappointed. When we finally found an RV/Camp ground with room, the clerk told us as we were walking out the door, "Be careful, there's been a grizzly hanging around here." Part of me thinks it's a joke they play on the city folk- just to see us squirm. The realistic part of me knew that she wasn't lying. This is bear country. Needless to say I was spooked. I told Sgt. Dad to back into our camping spot and leave the keys in the ignition and that if he heard anything that even sounded remotely like a bear to jump up and tear out of there! We could go back for the "stuff" later! No bear sounds were heard though. However, we did learn something about van camping. An air mattress is very cold! Next time we'll bring a heavy blanket for insulation! We had to turn the van on for heat during the night.


When we got up in the morning we drive down the highway for breakfast. It was a quaint little lodge with homemade bread and home fries. It was really good. We drove on down the highway a bit further to try out luck at "combat fishing". Sgt. Dad decided that he'd save his combat for military use and we left without even casting a line one time. Besides I was really scared of bears. There were signs all over warning of bear activity and what to do should you "run" into one. I saw an awful lot of fish and fish guts lying around- looked like bear bait to me! Of course, Sgt Dad walking behind me on the wooded trail, growling, didn't do anything to calm my jittery nerves!


All in all, it was fun and I'll do it again. Next time I think we'll try fishing at night, since the sun is up almost all the time, it won't be as bad as it sounds. I have a plan too- I'm going to look for the burliest Alaskan carrying the BIGGEST gun and keep close. After all, the heaviest weapon I carry is my cell phone. I'm not sure that throwing a cell phone at a grizzly would be much of a deterrent. Do you?

2 comments:

cj said...

Thanks for sharing! The fishing photo can't be real!!! I can't believe so many people are fishing in one place. Isn't Alaska huge? Why are there so many people there together? I'm so glad that you and Sgt. Dad were able to experience the great outdoors together like that. Your photos are great!

cj said...

We saw these same flowers in Yellowstone!