Friday, June 6, 2008

Mail

Well, this week I have received two letters from Ranger and a form letter from his command. He seems to be do okay. The letters were dated from last weekend. I hope to hear from him again about how his first week went. He wrote that the drill sgts don't seem to yell too much or he's too tired to notice. I think much of basic will be like that for him. He also said the they have a nickname for Fort Jackson, where Sgt. Dad spent 3 years as a drill sgt, "relaxin' Jackson". Sgt. Dad didn't think that was funny.
In other news, Tater was not able to take his road test Wednesday. When he and Sgt Dad attempted to leave for the test, Tater's car wouldn't start. By the time they ecided they wouldn't be able to get it going and elected to use the van instead, it was too late. So, they drove out there anyway to schedule another exam. For some reason, a person has to go to the DMV in person to schedule their road test.
Strummer is finishing up "extended school year" today. He managed to fail science but just barely. So, here they have an extended school year option in lieu of summer school for students like that. It lasts nine days and if they earn enough points they are granted a "D". Maybe it's the difference between boys and girls, maybe I didn't impress enough on my boys the importance of education but I am just astounded that my boys don't seem to care at all about school. My sister and I always got good grades, did our homework, studied for tests (at least a little) but not my boys. I have to hound them about homework or, worse, turning it in. They never seem to study for tests and, when I ask, they tell me they review at school. I hope Strummer learned a valuable lesson and will put more effort into school next year. Even Tater failed a course but he has time to retake it during the school year next year. Let's just hope senioritis hit him this year and he's already recovered.
Sgt Dad and I got a 100% on our mid-term! Yeah! It was a take-home test so there really isn't any reason we shouldn't have. I mean, I can see how that would be possible with Math or even English (if it involves an essay) but Biology or History should always result in an "A". Biology answers don't change neither do History. I mean D-Day will always be the same date in History, right?

No comments: