Sunday, August 5, 2007

Dining in Alaska

Today I am posting a review of restaurants in Alaska. Recently four of our family dined at Golden Corral. It was $60 for the four of us! The food was what we expected and our waitress stopped by frequently enough. The place was packed! I think that this restaurant was in the main tourist area. I doubt we'll go again as I think it was too pricey for "ok" food. Maybe if it's just Sgt Dad and myself. A few days ago just Sgt and I ate at a place called Sorrento's on Fireweed. I did not order a beverage and we spent about $40 for the two of us. Not bad for a good restaurant. We both ordered a spicy penne dish and it was excellent. It came with salad and garlic bread. We will definitely return there. The kids ate Burger King that night- lol. They didn't want to go out furniture shopping. Another night when it was just Sgt and me we tried City Diner on Minnesota. It was GOOD! We spent $35 for the two of us. Sgt Dad ordered a cheeseburger (he never orders cheeseburgers- that is such a lie- he rarely orders anything else). It was HUGE! He even commented that he couldn't believe they also have double cheeseburgers. I ordered the fish (Halibut) and chips. We shared an order of onion rings and had soda. My fish fry was light and not greasy- yummy! I liked that when our sodas were served they were brought to us in a cute little pitcher- no waiting for a refill! We will definitely go back there. It's cheap enough we can take the kids without taking out a loan!
There you go- my first restaurant review. If you ever come to Alaska I have now recommended two local restaurants and dissed a national chain! It's hard when you go to a new place to find the good places to eat. It's always a crap shoot when trying a local restaurant. We tried Sorrento's because we were starving, Italian sounded good, and the parking lot was pretty full. We tried City Diner because it smelled SO good! So far- local restaurants 2, national chains 0.
I'll post as we try more places....

2 comments:

Mo said...

Ummmmmm, none of the meals sounded Atkinesque to me. But I know once you get into a routine, you will do great!!! But it is fun to try new places to eat especially if they turn out to be good. I got a hug from Rachel today and I told I would tell you. She was so cute,we had a Vic Nic and she was on the sidewalk right outside the doors playing Barbies with a couple other little girlfriends. Had a car and Ken along with Barbie.
Ok all for now...loves.

cj said...

It's hard to know where to eat when you're traveling too. It's usually a good sign when there are lots of cars in the parking lot, but not always. We tried a BBQ place in Huntsville, and I would not recommend it. The food was okay, but way over priced. It was $5.95 for a kids hot dog with potato chips, and did not even include a drink. If you ask around you will probably find out about some great restaurants.