Sunday, August 26, 2007

Flat Top Mountain






Today we attempted to climb to the crest of Flat Top. I'm so mad at myself- I couldn't make it. It was a very tough climb and yet there were children 7 years old making the climb! The view from the crest I did reach was magnificent! I could see forever! We picked a nice, clear day to climb and were well rewarded for it. I would like to train up and try again. The website describing the hike was accurate I guess. It said it was moderate with some difficult areas. I would describe it as strenuous with some very difficult areas. I guess it all depends on what kind of fitness level you have attained. I would say, if you aren't a regular hiker my description is accurate. If you are a regular hiker, or someone who regularly partakes in sporting or vigorous excercise, then the website was accurate. I got some great pictures of the view! We didn't see any wildlife. I think this trail is too well travelled. We got within a mile or less of the crest and I had to quit. My legs were so fatigued and shaky! I was concerned that if I kept pushing, I'd have to call for rescue to get back down! The hardest part was yet to come as well. The remainder of the hike was largely involving quasi rock climbing. Meaning the trail was quite steep and often you are grabbing rocks and pulling yourself up! I'd love to go back another time for a sunset (and only climb high enough for a good view!).
I did snap a nice pic of the sunset from my front porch. I'm exhausted but I earned it!

3 comments:

Karen Hamilton said...

Great photos! Looks like I'll have to work on getting in shape so I, too can make that hike! I would absolutely love it!

cj said...

What a fun family photo, and such a great family activity! It sounds like a nice hike. I'm sorry that you were not able to make it to the top. Drew and I once had to quit climbing a mountain just below the summit. It's not fun to be so close and have to turn around, but sometimes it is the best decision.

The Mama of the House said...

And don't feel too badly. The altitude is a killer. By this time next year you'll ace the hike no problem!