Wednesday, August 15, 2007

School Lunch

To expound a bit on my diatribe regarding the cost of living here I would like to mention what I paid for school lunch in the past:
In NY state I paid $2.25.
In SC I paid $1.75.
So you can see how since 2005 my school lunch costs have skyrocketed! They have literally doubled in 2 years! There is a very good chance my boys will be welcomed to the world of packing their own lunches.
However, I do think they'd get a healthier lunch by eating at school. The way oldest son eats I'd probably go through a loaf of bread daily. Oh well.
This morning traffic was snarled by a Moose standing at the edge of the road. Unfortunately, I had just passed the intersection when he arrived. I heard about it on the radio. Apparently he wandered out of the woods and just stood at the edge of the road.
I went grocery shopping this evening and went over budget by $100. I am in trouble with Sgt Dad. However, it is cheaper to go over and eat at home than to stick rigidly to a budget and eat out because all the food in the house is gone. I've noticed that even shopping at the commissary food it about 20% more expensive here than the lower 48.
Which reminds me- I transferred our vehicle insurance to AK and that went up to $4000 a year. *SIGH* It's all adding up- that cola allowance doesn't seem so generous anymore!
At least I don't have to worry about the gas/electric bill this year! That's probably the best benefit of government housing.
Well, it's getting late here so I'm going to bed!

2 comments:

The Mama of the House said...

I'm just impressed you're on a budget. My wonderful hubby put me on a strict budget and while I'm decent about staying on it, I could do better. You've motivated me to get on the ball!

Karen Hamilton said...

You are making Rush Henrietta sound like a bargain! Dare I complain?