Monday, August 13, 2007

Sticker Shock!

Well, I looked up the school website today to find out the cost of school lunch. I about fell off the couch! $3.50 per kid, per day!!!! That's $10.50 a day in school lunch. I hate to make my kids the dorks who have to pack but TEN - FIFTY per day!!!! Why can't all that oil money provide FREE lunch for all?!?! I have a feeling that there will be quite a few kids who pack. That's just crazy. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I only had one or two kids but for all three.... ack!
I also stopped by the shoppette today (it's the equivalent of 7-11 on the base) to pick up a 12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper- it was $4.69. I said, "never mind" and bought a 2 liter instead.
I never mentioned that when I signed up Oldest Son for football I had to pay a "sport fee" of $160.
So, we don't pay taxes but we still get hit! I guess gas is about the same here as NY- $2.92 last I saw. Of course that is the price w/o any state taxes- if we had state taxes it would be significantly higher I suppose.
Yes, life in Alaska is a bit of a change from the lower 48.
I guess we had been in Alaska for about 2-3 weeks when we got hit with a rock from the road and got a nice little "hole" in the windshield. I was frustrated and was going to get the glass replaced but Sgt Dad informed me that they use gravel along with the salt up here. He said those kinds of things are pretty common. That's when it occurred to me that I had noticed quite a few cracked windshields around town- and not just on old clunkers. In fact, just a few miles down the road a beautiful Lexus SUV passed us with a crack 2/3 of the was across his windshield. So, since my little rock didn't crack the glass all the way through I'll wait until it does or until I get several "pings" on the glass.
In other news, yesterday was Youngest Son's 14th birthday. Wow does time fly! I'll have to post pictures when I can use my laptop again (more on that later). He was very happy to receive an Ipod nano. He had a pancake breakfast, peanut butter and honey lunch, and spaghetti dinner- all his faves! Then cake and cookies and cream ice cream for dessert. All-in-all a nice day. We missed having all the extended family around; it was so nice having everyone come over for the past year. Youngest Son was so funny when he opened his gift. He picked it up and told Middle Son, "See this? Don't touch it- ever!" Middle Son is notorious for losing, dropping, breaking things! Sgt Dad and I had the best laugh in weeks!
Back to why I'm not on my own laptop and posting pics. For the past few days I had noticed this high-pitched chirping noise. I figured it was some new sound of the house. Unfortunately, it was coming from the power brick on the power cord of my laptop. Apparently, it has gone back and does not provide a charge to my laptop. So, until I can replace it (tomorrow is payday- yeah!) I'll have to use Sgt Dad's laptop. If it's not one thing, it's another,eh?
Current time is 9:52pm and I am seeing the prettiest purple-blue sunset. It's still light enough that elementary age children are playing outside (I can hear them through my windows).
I'm off to bed, I have to get used to working full time and retrain my family into helping.

3 comments:

cj said...

I didn't think that $3.50 is bad for a hot lunch, but I guess I don't know what other schools charge for a lunch. They don't give any discounts for multiple lunches? I'm sorry that I missed nephew's birthday. We have been crazy busy. Our latest project is painting the house. It takes a while. My baby starts school tomorrow!!!! I hope I don't cry. Love ya!

The Mama of the House said...

With those prices, they couldn't possibly be the only ones "packing." Besides, if they pack their own lunches they can put all kinds of fun things in them....

Karen Hamilton said...

What? School has started already? It isn't even Labor Day! Rachel packs her lunch because she doesn't care for school lunch food.