Sunday, July 22, 2007

I Return to the Land of Muggles

Well I have a confession to make. I am a Harry Potter fan. I dragged my middle son, in the dead of night, to Borders to await the release of the final book in the Harry Potter series and waited and hour and 45 minutes for my turn to purchase the book. I was surprised that the majority of fans were college age. I thought from the media reports that it would mainly be youngsters around the age of 13. I was number 755 to purchase the book from this borders. I was surprised that there were so many fans. Not that I thought Alaskans didn't read, just that they wouldn't be interested in this book. When I got home at 2:20am from purchasing the book, I went straight to bed. I figured I would enjoy the book more after sleeping. When I awake after noon on Saturday, I dug right in and a mere 26 hours later I had finished the entire novel.

The book was excellent. I am amazed that any person could plan out 7 books with such intricately intertwined story lines! I will not post any spoilers here but I should warn you readers that there is alot more death in this volume and about half a dozen curse words. Nothing shocking and with parental guidance there shouldn't be a problem for children who are fans of the story. I must say this also- God bless JK Rowling for the epilogue. I'm sorry that the ride is over but it is a complete and whole story now. Everything comes together beautifully in the end.

Jumping tracks now- I have an interview tomorrow morning and I'm a bit nervous. I really didn't expect to start interviewing and looking in earnest for a job until I got moved into my new home. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

cj said...

I hadn't planned on reading the books, because I didn't think that I would like them. However, my friend is a fan and she was excited about the last book coming out, and when I was at her house the other day we were talking about the series. She offered to let me borrow her first book and just see if I liked it. Well, I read the book in less than two days! That's fast considering the little ones that I have right now. I enjoyed the first book very much. What an imagination Rowling has. I think I'll go back to my friend's house and check out the next book! I can't believe that you went at midnight to buy a book! I hope that your interview goes well!

The Mama of the House said...

Yea!!! I'm so glad you've read the book. And it's very brave of you to buy it at midnight at Borders! I bought it Saturday morning, shuffled the kids over the neighbors and finished it by nightfall. It was WONDERFUL!

Get my cell phone from cj and call me if you want to talk about the book! :)