Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Moose Sighting


That ever elusive moose has decided to show his face! I woke up early this morning. Thanks in large part to the wonderful bugle calls that blast through my open windows at 6 am, then at 7:30. So, since I was awake and the sun was up, though muted through the heavy cloud cover,(Which made me think, "Is Alaska so different from Rochester? Cloudy days without end and cool summer days....")I decided to get up, get dressed and walk the dogs for the boys. Just as I was walking out the door, Youngest Son awake and asked me to wait so he could go with me. Aww how sweet! So, we walked our dogs through the woods, cough, sneeze, and slap at mosquitoes! We saw quite an impressive pile of moose droppings- wet! Ick! Of course Youngest Son asks me how I know they are moose droppings. I'm such a woodswoman you know! I confessed it was only because we had seen some as a gag gift in a gift shop. Yes, you read that right, there was a cheesy gift shop item called moose chapstick. It was a plastic coated moose dropping place in a tube. The package read, "it won't heal your chapped lips but it will keep you from licking them". So, who wants to order one??
So, my dogs had decided that they were done and we were walking back towards the lodging entrance, when what to my wondering eyes should appear? One long-legged moose! And me without my camera! I boogied upstairs, dropped Lexi off, and ran back down to snap my pictures. Of course after two or three bad shots my batteries died. Youngest son ran upstairs for the van keys to retrieve my camera bag from the van for me. Of course all those batteries were dead as well. Curse Sgt Dad for being cheap and not buying me a nice new camera battery! Fortunately one set had enough juice for me to snap one final picture. It wasn't a great one but good enough. Apparently moose sightings on post are fairly commonplace so I'm sure I'll get another opportunity over the next three years! I hope you enjoy this one.
So, backtracking a bit, Sgt Dad signed into post yesterday and stopped by the housing office. There is a good chance we'll get housing right away and brand new quarters on top of it! There is all kinds of construction going on here right now and the quarters are quite nice- two car garages even! The woman who assigns housing was out yesterday so we have to wait for today to get solid information. Sgt Dad, oldest son, and I went to the post gym yesterday. It's a really nice facility and all free! Yeah! We only have to pay if we want to attend aerobics classes on a per class basis. There is a pool, hot tub, great cardio equipment, sauna, tanning beds, free weights, circuit room (aka nautilus), racquetball courts (all equipment available to check -free), even free fitness evaluation. Needless to say, no excuse not to work out. Especially right now while I have no home and no job! I need to get my resume in order and stop by the post employment office. Since we'll be living on post, I'd rather get a job here than have a commute. Especially with the weather here. I'm so nervous about winter driving after last year. I'll keep you posted. :-)

3 comments:

Mo said...

Jen,
Glad you made it there and I hope you have a Great 3 years there!!
Happy 4th guys!! I love you all.
Send me your address as soon as you get it k?
Me

cj said...

Wow, Sis! That is fun to see a moose so close to where you are living. I have been such a moose fan ever since I first saw them in Wyoming. I had been very disappointed that I was unable to spot any in Colorado. However, some friends showed us where you need to go to find those elusive moose, and on our Labor Day camping trip last fall we finally saw moose in Colorado. What an amazing animal that God made! Thanks for sharing all the details of your new adventures. I love feeling more connected to your life. Love and Hugs!

The Mama of the House said...

You did a great job journalling your adventures and I'm happy to read them. Your sister loves the moose and so do I so I'm thrilled that you get to see them so often. And good luck on your housing!